top of page

Forum Posts

louise924
Mar 08, 2024
In Company Managment
Move Date confirmed!   We will be moving to Ruthven Street during the week beginning April 1st.   Studio closure Last access at Firhill Road will be March 31st and we will reopen in the new premises on April 9th (one week ahead of our next courses starting).   Firing We will ensure all pots on the firing shelves by Saturday March 23rd are fired before the move (bisque and glaze). It was suggested and agreed at the meeting that any unfired work is moved by members themselves; those with cars said they would be happy to help those without, and that otherwise we should pay a removals company to move everything, which I agree is sensible.   Setting up the new studio Where your help would be useful (and I think fun :-) is getting everything unpacked and set-up in the new space, the date for this will be Saturday 6th of April, 11am- 4pm, with celebration drinks afterwards!   Notes from the Meeting 01/03/2024   Discussion was mainly around two areas: 1) the need to be cognicant of the change in neighborhood demographic moving from Maryhill to Dowanhill; how we should communicate our ethos, and what more we could do to ensure accessibility for all 2) the timing and aims of the open weekend   Free places for Refugees and others who cannot otherwise afford   There was a consensus that in the new location, with extra space for concurrent classes, proximity to bars, restaurants and public transport, and wealthier neighbors, we should use one-off taster and private-group workshops to raise money for subsidising membership for low-income individuals (Rowen who is happy to run these workshops).   We should price one-off workshops on a par with Spin and Craft Pottery (£65 ph. per person) but be very clear when promoting them that we are a non-profit and money raised through the workshops will fund affordable membership. This fundraising activity should be year-round.   We should work with local groups, such as Maryhill Integration Network and Refugwegee to discretely offer funded places to their clients, who will participate as regular members, though it was suggested that we could partner refugees with a ‘buddy’.   Action I will write a statement Katharina, Giada, Sara-Jane and myself, who have contacts with local groups, and will approach.   Classes for children and young people   With the extra space we can also run a cheap program for children and young people. Sara-Jane is keen to develop an affordable program for young people and possibly schools.   Action Discuss with Sara-Jane (and perhaps Kate and Anna)   Access Sessions   I described the new software I have identified (Nexedus) that will allow us to offer hourly booking and members to see how many people are booked, as well as providing a better online platform for members to ask questions, share ideas etc.   Most people were keen to have the option to be in the studio alone so they could attend whenever suited, but did prefer being in the studio with other members. There was an agreement that we can outline times for ‘social sessions’ but that members shouldn’t be restricted to these times.   Additional storage in the new premises will allow us to increase membership, so we can increase access-hours whilst maintaining a social environment.   Everyone agreed that the staffed sessions were needed for new members, and I plan to extend the times for these, as I will be able to have an office space in the studio.   Action I will sign-up for and populate Nexudus before we move, Amy has offered to help (she is currently retraining as a UX designer). The new booking system, access hours and membership structure will go live on April 8th.   Open Weekend   It was decided that our open weekend should take place in June as part of West Fest. The only weekend this is possible, after courses and before the school holidays is the 22nd & 23rd of June   Workshops It was agreed we should offer a range of workshops to welcome people to call in and see what we do, but these should be cheap, short, tasters; fundraising should focus on taking future workshop and course bookings.   Action Sara-Jane and Anna offered to run kids workshops, Hannah and Elise offered to run hand-building workshops. Raffle We can run a raffle and bar, which are as much about building connections with local businesses, through prizes and sponsorship, as they are about raising money.   Action I will write a statement to enable everyone to approach businesses to seek prizes and sponsorship. Lauren offered to arrange the license and coordinate the running of the bar.   Live Music We can have live music if we’re able to find musicians to play in exchange for membership, but that the cost of paying musicians cannot be justified.   Action Elise will speak to contacts at Douglas School of Music, Katharina will speak to contacts at the Conservatoire, I will speak to friends who are musicians.   Pot Sale Emily, Susan and Katharina offered to coordinate the pot sale (including coordinating all those participating to manage sales over the weekend).
1
0
78
louise924
Feb 29, 2024
In Company Managment
Friday March 1st: starting at 6.15pm (welcome to arrive from 5.45) and ending at 7.45pm I’ve just heard from the letting agent and hopefully the start of April will be possible. The owners have just returned after a month away and are comparing quotes for the roof, the move is likely to happen at short notice, and we may only have a week to move and get everything ready for an open weekend, so I want to prepare as much as possible.   I’d like to use the meeting to put together a plan and by the end of the meeting, I’m hoping we will be split into teams, who, after we’ve all contributed our ideas, will take responsibility for a specific task.   Here’s what I have so far:   Teams for Opening Weekend   Pot Sale ·      Gather pots ·      Price work ·      Photograph for promotion ·      Manage the sale on the weekend   Workshops ·      Plan short, taster, drop-in workshops (with me) ·      Source materials (with me) ·      Run drop-in workshops over the weekend   Fundraising raffle ·      Approach local businesses for prizes ·      Collect promotional material ·      Promote through social media ·      Manage raffle sales and draw on the weekend   Food and drink ·      Source food and drink ·      Organise license ·      Run bar over the weekend   Live music ·      Arrange live music, speakers, stage etc. if/where/what possible ·      Manage music on the weekend   Chairs and tables ·      Organise borrowing, transporting, set-up and returning     Other jobs for Opening   Posters and flyers ·      Put up in bus shelters etc. ·      Distribute through cafés and workplaces     Move   Glazes ·      Sources large dipping tubs ·      Think about glaze station and storage (source storage if needed) ·      Mix glazes   Pots ·      Gather packing materials ·      Pack, transport and unpack pots
0
1
86
louise924
Feb 20, 2024
In Company Managment
My goal in founding Maryhill Open Artspace CIC was to provide craft facilities for long-term hobbyist use, create a welcoming community space, with charges that feel affordable and fair, to do this I have kept the facilities modest, and staffing minimal, and we operate to cover costs, not make a profit. We have successfully operated in this way now for two years.   My intention initially was to run very few courses and focus almost solely on untaught access, however the number of people happy to completely self-teach was limited, and the turnover of members has been higher than I expected, mostly due to our proximity to the university, so regular introductory courses have proven necessary to renew membership numbers (though we do have 24 members who have been with us over a year, and another 12 for more than 6 months).   We are currently in unsuitable premises for a pottery studio, and are also slightly tight on space, so in April last year I began searching for new premises, at the same time we were awarded £9K by Creative Scotland, thanks to our members contributing to a Crowdfunder, to cover the cost of relocating, and improving facilities. I want to dedicate 2 or 3 weeks each year to further fundraising activity, to include taster workshops and a pot sale, and money raised each time can go towards studio maintenance and improvements proposed by members. The rest of the time it’s a deliberate choice to avoid running wheel ‘taster’ workshops as these would compete with members for use (and not add to membership), and a permanent shop or exhibition space would require too much management and staffing.   I was originally looking for premises near the current studio, but I struggled, and as our members come from across the West End and beyond, I started looking further afield. I plotted our members on a map to check the suitability of locations, and the new location in Downanhill is within walking distance of all members who currently walk, has parking for those who drive, and has better public transport.   We will hopefully be relocating in April (shortening our name to Open Artspace) and as well as improvements to storage and pottery facilities, funded by the Creative Scotland money, and proposed by long-term members, the new studio will include a separate classroom and small provision for screen-printing and jewellery. The separate classroom (and additional facilities) will allow us to diversify our course program, to cover the increased rent, and allow us to run kids-classes at cost, as it’s particularly important to me that all young people can afford to participate. As we will have much more storage capacity I would like to add a lower membership fee level, and I am also investigating an app entry system, with software for managing hourly access, which would allow us to be more flexible with access, I will consult with members on both of these things.
2
0
55
louise924
Feb 06, 2024
In Company Managment
0
0
36
louise924
Nov 16, 2023
0
0
13
louise924
Sep 28, 2023
0
0
5
louise924
Sep 25, 2023
In Firing Schedule
The photo shows what remains on the shelves
Bisque kiln to be unloaded Tue 26th 5pm  content media
4
0
29
louise924
Sep 22, 2023
In Firing Schedule
The photos show what remains on the shelves
6
0
32
louise924
Sep 22, 2023
3
0
8
louise924
Sep 01, 2023
In Company Managment
Maryhill Open Art Space Meeting Minutes Date of meeting: 29th August 2023 General Notes The items discussed are for consideration at the meeting on how the studio should operate until March and through the move. All of the below should be revisited by the group in March (if not earlier). Having the agenda proposed before the meeting with timings was very helpful and suggest we do this in the future – having answers from those unable to attend also very useful and meant the entire group was engaged in the discussion. Outcomes ● Understand if we want to move to the premises on Hathaway Street ● Get a sense of how many sessions the steering group is willing to volunteer per month (until March 2024) ● Calculate how much time steering group are spending on studio maintenance, and how much time they wish to contribute per session ● Understand the allocation of paid staff time and decide if this is meeting the needs of the studio ● Make suggestions to change staff job descriptions (time, pay, duties) New Location – Hathaway Street We are in agreement that Hathaway is a good move for the studio. We are happy to work to the December date but we need to understand the commitment required of the Steering Committee and wider membership to complete the move. It is the preference of the Steering Committee that tradespeople are brought in for the majority of the upgrades. Hathaway St gives us flexibility on meeting the needs of the current membership whilst also giving us options (via mezzanine space) to provide more flexibility/additional space to expand and develop the studio. Questions and Actions: Q. How long will members not have access to the studio during the move? Is it possible to pause the membership that period or offer a reduction in cost? Action: We would like to see a breakdown of the moving costs to understand what upgrades will be made by tradespeople and what will be required of members. Estimates should include work required to be carried out to address Health and Safety concerns, detailed below. Q. If the Creative Scotland fund is used to meet the cost of the move does that mean that we cannot buy a second kiln & extruder? Or are these included in the move costings. Studio Maintenance We believe that there is room for improvement in studio maintenance. Some issues raised – ·       There is sometimes not enough clay for the sessions ·       We could have better tools for non-beginners (e.g. slab roller) and perhaps a system to request and approve purchase of new tools ·       There should be a system in place to ensure that painting glazes are kept full ·       Regular inventory of tool and also upgrade/repair of tools when required The group felt that having staff in regularly helps keep on top of this but there are still improvements that could be made. Suggestions detailed below regarding Volunteering and Staffing. Volunteering Having the Steering group cover studio access is sustainable with the majority of the group taking on approximately 2 sessions a month – some are doing more and are ok to do so as long as the concerns of the group on staffing/maintenance is met. The group feel that responsibilities of covering a session should be limited to opening/locking the studio, answering questions from members, essentially getting people started, and a light tidy up/clean of areas members may have missed after the session. The session cover should not cover the jobs that the group feel should be carried out by the studio staff as it is difficult to ensure consistency in these jobs and ensure they are done in a timely manner around sessions. These include – ·       Organising reclaim ·       Stocking/Maintenance of tools ·       Ensuring glazes are filled ·       Covering pots ·       Deep cleaning Suggestion: There could be a way for members/Steering committee to sign up for additional jobs e.g. doing an inventory of tools/ordering supplies etc. but these should not be expected. If a job needs to be done at a certain time e.g. reclaim due to clay moisture levels and a request is made to complete this to ensure smooth running of the studio, this would be deemed acceptable on a non-regular basis. Teaching Courses and Workshops We all felt that the current level of courses is working well with the expectation that Addison and Rachael will run more courses. Improver classes were thought to be working well and suggested that more of these would be beneficial. We do not feel that the current level of courses are impacting the open sessions. They are also seen as a good means of income. Some of the courses that are being taught at the start of the sessions have not been well attended. Suggestion: Could we have a notice board in the studio publicising upcoming courses with a way for people to express interest or provide feedback on any additional courses that they would like to run. The board could also be used as a way of making members aware of any changes in the studio – maybe who is on duty for that session too. Suggestion: More one off courses may be popular. E.g. A one day throw a pot course. Do we want any more courses? Perhaps this could be raised again once we’ve completed the move and are ready for some expansion Kiln Firings The kiln is fired 3 times a week – we only do it twice if there is not enough to warrant a 3rd firing. We propose we set expectations on how long firing will take – advertise (perhaps on the notice board) when/what firings will be taking place that week. People should be aware that it will take 10 days approximately for firing (best endeavours basis). Some issues with firings have been raised (some should have been addressed by the new thermocouple) There have been some explosions but generally there haven’t been issues with the slow bisque. Suggestion: We could have members date their work so that it has properly dried before it gets put into the kiln. Suggestion: Should we set a time limit for collecting work that has been fired – this is most likely a duty of the staff members. Suggestion: Cones for the kiln would be a good idea to potentially identify any issues with the kiln. If we identify that there is a pattern of work coming out the kiln with issues then the costs should not be passed on to members. A suggestion might be that there is budget set aside to cover these costs (a reserve fund). Health & Safety There were a number of health and safety concerns raised for both the current space and also Health & Safety should be a key consideration when fitting out the new location. The number of points below signals that there should further discussions on Heath & Safety/Move considerations. ·       A COSHH form should be completed and members of the group are happy to help with this. ·       Risk assessments should be completed for kiln and pug. The new studio should be set up with these in mind. ·       We should not daisy chain electrics & overload sockets/extensions ·       We should review use and management of PPE – respirators should not be shared. Clarity needed around messy jobs that risk air-borne particles and whether these should be done in the studio even if others aren’t around? ·       We should consider water management in the new space and have a three stage filtration in place as we believe that this is a legal requirement ·       Electrical outlets should have water covers ·       We should consider carefully electrical outlets (number and location) as part of the move to the new location ·       There are concerns that glaze needs to be disposed of as hazardous waste (the way that paint is disposed in local waste centres) ·       We need venting for the kiln – an extractor would be helpful ·       Nobody under the age of 18 should be allowed to use the equipment Suggestion: Should we pay for waste management/would this help with our waste (both hazardous and general) Communication Most of the time Whatsapp is useful for communication but should really be limited for simple questions/requests to cover pots. Where there a number of points being raised/discussed then putting this in a mail is easier to digest and respond to. Whatsapp is a good way of letting people know that they have sent a mail for the group to read/respond to. In some cases, for the steering group, an in person meeting may also be preferable If more meetings were required then they could be kept on track by using the format for this meeting. Questions submitted before and timings kept on track – those unable to attend could contribute via mail. Most likely we need a new channel for the move when there will be lots of questions etc. Creative Scotland The group feel that the full amount from Creative Scotland money should be used to improve the studio. If we plan to use the money for something different (such as fitting out a better studio but that comes at the expense of no new kiln or extruder) then we need to make the membership aware and get feedback. There was some feedback from members to the steering group members about how the money was raised with some feeling pressure to do so. Some concerns had been raised with the group that the expectation of £150 per member was a sizeable commitment for members. Although the group is aware that it was made clear there was no expectation for members to commit any money to the campaign. Some of the services that were bought have not been fulfilled and the group felt that ideally we should seek to ensure that these services were provided ahead of the move. Action: A summary of the services that still have to be fulfilled would be helpful to understand scheduling of sessions/services. In the future we should investigate other methods of fund raising as crowd funding has its drawbacks despite it enabling the move. At the moment the group does not think that a new round of fund raising needs to be embarked upon. Staffing We believe the Studio requires an additional role to cover teaching and studio tech – providing more cover and flexibility (especially over holiday periods/sickness absence). This role would help cover the tasks that are detailed in the Volunteering session and the postholder needs to be able to provide wheel teaching cover should it be required to prevent potential loss of income. The studio would operate more efficiently if there was someone in every day to ensure the studio was fully stocked/clean. This will allow the volunteers to cover the sessions without taking on the responsibility of additional work. In order to understand the number of hours required in this role, we need to understand the number of hours currently being covered by the managing director to do these tasks. The group would like clarification on number of hours and salary of the managing director role and the Teaching/Studio Technician role. The group would also like to understand if a new role was created what the rate of pay would be. Both points would help the group understand if a new role is affordable. The group feel that we should not have all members of staff on holiday at the same time, the experience during this summer was that this put too much pressure on the Steering Group and ideally should be avoided. General Suggestion: Could WIX be kept up to date to ensure that the person who is covering the session is accurately noted.
2
1
78
louise924
Jun 10, 2023
In Company Managment
3
0
60

louise924

Admin
More actions
bottom of page